B. Scott Holmes

Just trying to stay alive and keep my sideburns too

Camp Station/Grub(b)s Well Station - Pony Express

Camp Station/Grub(b)s Well Station (N39 37 24.8 W116 28 33.4)

Grubb’s Well is commonly mentioned in the published lists of Pony Express stations, and is also listed with Overland Stage stations, however there was no station at the site in the fall of 1860.

It was in existence by August 1861, and the Pony ran until October 1861. In July 1861, John Butterfield began his Overland Mail and Stage Express and Freight Service just prior to the demise of the Pony Express. He ran his stage fairly closely along the Pony Express route, but he built some additional stations along the route. Grubb’s Well was probably built in July 1861 for the Overland Stage.

Since it was right on the Pony Express Trail it was probably used as a way station for the last few months of the Pony. Its use by the Overland continued until 1869. In 1861 the station was a tepee-like structure of rough poles covered by rushes and grass. There was fresh milk from a rare milk cow kept by the hostler. The well here was only 10′ deep and was open to anyone who would haul the harshly alkaline water. There are no original buildings here. Don Smith of Battle Mountain is the owner of the patented land on which the structures are located. Just SW of the site sits a rock and concrete monument bearing another brass centennial Pony Express marker. Grubb’s Well is 8 miles north of Highway 50.
http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/pony-express-trail/nevada-...

CAMP STATION/GRUB(B)S WELL STATION

The first station west of Roberts Creek was Camp Station or Grub(b)'s Well. [1] Many historical sources generally agree that this station existed, but that it may not have existed until about July 1861, when it was probably built as an Overland Mail Company stage stop. Riders probably used the station during the last few months of the Pony Express' existence to breakup the thirty-five mile ride between Roberts Creek and Dry Creek Stations. [2]

No original station structures remain on the site. In 1979, a stone-and-concrete marker with a brass Pony Express emblem stood southwest of the site, eight miles north of Highway 50.3
http://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/poex/hrs/hrs8a.htm#136

39.641651153564, -116.466064453120

Comments