PLUM CREEK STATION - Pony Express
Point plotted at the Plum Creek Massacre Cemetery site
This site is likely about ten miles southeast of Lexington, Nebraska. Sources generally agree on its identity and location as a relay station.  In 1859, the L. & P.P. Express Co. listed Plum Creek as a stop on its route.  Later the station's log structures housed a Pony Express station and stage stop, and even later a telegraph station. Indian attacks on wagon trains and stagecoaches between 1864 and 1867 led to the establishment of a small garrison of troops at Plum Creek Station. Sometime after August 1867 the station was burned and abandoned. A small cemetery near the station contains the graves of victims of an 1864 or 1865 Indian attack.