Reese River/Jacob’s Spring Station - Pony Express
Reese River/Jacob’s Spring Station (N39 30 06.9 W117 10 56.1)
Stations were set up at Simpson Park, just east of the sub-basin, and Jacobs Springs, about 2 miles east of Reese River. The latter station was named after Washington Jacobs, district agent in charge there; Jacobsville, the first town in the sub-basin grew up at the station. After Jacobsville was abandoned as the Lander county seat in favor of Austin in 1863, the stage station there was moved 2 miles westward, to the east bank of Reese River.
The Overland Stage and Mail Company used this as a way stop at least until the discovery at Austin in May 1862.
But after it began to boom, the stage and mail stop was moved to Austin. Rock foundations on the west side of the Reese River just north of the highway mark the site of the Overland Stage station. These ruins are on patented land owned by Paul Inchauspe of Austin. However, the Pony Express station ruins are all but gone.
REESE RIVER/JACOB'S SPRING STATION
Sources give this site several names, but generally they agree on its identity as a Pony Express station.  Named for stationkeeper George Washington Jacobs, the station possibly began on the site of one of George Chorpenning's 1859 mail posts near the Reese River. In the summer of 1860, Indians burned the station and a new, incomplete adobe structure greeted Richard Burton when he arrived on October 13 of that same year.  The Overland Mail Company and other stage lines also operated a station at the site, which grew into the promising little town of Jacobsville. When the silver boom began in Austin, Nevada, the Overland shifted its operations to that settlement about 1864.  In 1986, the ruins of the adobe Pony Express station still existed northwest of Jacobsville.