SCHELL CREEK STATION - Pony Express
Schell Creek Station (N39 47 55.5 W114 40 42.7) (P)
There is a historical marker a few miles west where the dirt road hits Hwy 93.
SCHELL CREEK STATION
Sources generally agree on the identity of Schell Creek, also known later as Schellbourne or Fort Schellboure.  George Chorpenning and Howard Egan established a station at the site in late 1859, which served the Pony Express during its existence and the Overland Mail Company line until 1869. English traveler Richard Burton stopped at Schell Creek on October 5, 1860, and identified Francais de France Constant Dubail as stationkeeper at the bullet-scarred log structure.  Several months earlier, on June 8, 1860, Indians attacked the station. According to one source, they scared away the station's residents and destroyed the building.  Another source claims that Indians killed three people at the station before scattering the station's livestock. 
After the Pony Express ended, the Overland Mail Company established its Utah-to-central Nevada district headquarters at Schell Creek in 1862-1863. Stone and log structures housed craftsmen who kept the coaches and other equipment in good repair, and the station compound grew into Fort Schellbourne, a town of 500 by the 1870s.  Two log structures, as well as other buildings, remain from the old fort. Local belief suggests that one of them served as the Pony Express station, but no actual proof exists.